Deadline for mailing
25th of each month
Tuesday, December 23, 2008

postheadericon Beaded cards

I wanted to make a beaded snowflake for my January card so I took a few photos to show you how I make mine Ashley.

First I find a simple drawing. This is an embroidered snowflake but I can use beads instead of thread.

The supplies I need are small eyed needles, I use quilting betweens, some beads - I used a tube that has different size beads...bought at Joann's (or Michaels), some thread. You can use beading thread show in the bobbin (at Micheals or Joann's) or you can use Hand Quilting thread - don't use regular thread because it's not strong enough. I also use a piece of batting as my work surface to keep the beads from rolling around.

I wanted the snowflake against a blue background but wanted some snow on the ground too so I made my background with some white at the bottom.
I drew some lines on my blue background to follow. I used a Clover white marking pen that shows up on dark fabric. These marks will disappear with steam if I don't cover them up completely.

Make a knot in your thread and come up where you want to place your first bead.

Use your needle to scoop up your bead - it's easier than trying to use your fingers to put it on the needle. Then you're going to go down with your needle --- the space between where you came up and go down should be the width of the bead you're using. This will be easier to do as you practice.

Here I'm going around to create a little inner circle like on my drawing (see first photo).
Now my circle is done and next I'm going to use small white beads and sew them right along my line.

Starting in the center of the circle and sewing one bead at a time, I'm adding the white beads right along the line.

Remember the space between where you come up with your thread and go down should be the same as the width of the bead.

Keep adding the beads in a straight line.

If the bead doesn't lay just right like the one below.
You can nudge it with your needle and pull the thread a little tighter before adding the next bead.

Here's my first line finished. I added a big bead on the end and some of the longer beads to the side like my drawing had.

Here I'm finishing up the second line - I went through the big beads on the end twice to hold them more securely.
Here I'm adding the longer beads - notice I'm leaving a wider space here between where my needle comes up and where it goes down - equal to the width of the bead I'm using.
And here are two of my lines beaded. You'll notice that I didn't get the beads perfectly straight...it takes practice and I'm certainly not perfect!

You can also use beads to fill in centers of flowers or in other applique cards like we have - they can be an accent or you can make the whole design beaded.

I hope this helps Ashley, let me know if you have any questions.

Mary